Melanin is the pigment responsible for determining hair color. Cells called melanocytes naturally make melanin in the cortex, in the middle of the hair follicle. Hair grows with the pigment and its color at the same time. It is worth noting that every person has the same number of melanocytes, but there are people whose bodies produce more melanin than others.
The amount of melanin in the body varies by genes. If the parents have light hair, the children often inherit this trait genetically, and those who have low amounts of hair melanin show its characteristics in the form of relatively light hair color.
Types of melanin hair dye
There are two types of melanin pigment responsible for determining hair color, as follows:
It is a type of melanin pigment responsible for the intensity of darkening of the hair, and there are two types of it, the black type and the brown.
Black and brown hair grows as a result of an uneven mixture of black and brown eumelanin. In the case of blond hair, it turns out that there is little brown eumelanin, in contrast, there is no amount of black eumelanin.
It is the pigment responsible for the red color in the human body, such as the lips and nipple, but it also has a role in the emergence of red hair color in some, as it has been proven that there is pheomelanin pigment in the hair with the brown melanin pigment together and they appear in the form of red hair.
The relationship of lack of hair melanin to the appearance of graying
With age, the efficiency of melanocytes decreases, which reduces the production of melanin pigment in the hair, and when the hair grows again, it appears without pigment, that is, in gray, which causes the appearance of gray. In addition to the above, there may be other reasons for hair graying, including the following:
- There is a genetic relationship to gray hair, that is, it is transmitted through genes. If gray hair grows at a young age for a person, i.e. between the ages of twenty to thirty years of age, there is no relationship to the efficiency of melanin cells with that, especially if one of the parents has the same problem.
- Graying occurs in some cases as a result of a deficiency in vitamin B12 or irregular functioning of the thyroid gland. It is worth noting that gray hair appears more clearly in people with dark hair compared to those with light hair.
Important nutrients to maintain your hair color
We are very afraid of changing our hair color to white, here are some nutrients that increase hair melanin and help maintain the stability of your hair color:
- Protein: Food rich in protein, such as meat, meat bone broth, and oats, helps maintain hair color and health.
- Minerals: Food rich in minerals helps protect hair and its color, and foods rich in minerals include cashews, crab, and egg yolks.
- Vitamin B: Vitamin B acts as a natural conditioner for hair, and there are some foods rich in vitamin B, such as green plant leaves, wheat germ, bananas, and tomatoes.
- Copper: It was found that there is a strong relationship between copper and hair melanin, as its deficiency leads to a decrease in melanin pigment.
- Omega-3: Dark hair color has been found primarily in the scalp, and omega-3 helps maintain a healthy scalp.
Melanin pills for hair
Melanin supplements contribute to the balance of the proportion of melanin in the hair, and they are used through a prescription according to the proportion of each case.Or you can use topical products containing lutein, lycopene, astaxanthin, and probiotics.
Foods that strengthen the melanin pigment in the hair
Are there foods that strengthen the melanin pigment in the hair? Yes indeed! They are foods that contain antioxidants, vitamins, and copper.
Foods rich in antioxidants
Dark chocolate berries, leafy greens, artichoke beans
Foods that contain copper
Since copper plays a role in the production of melanin, you will also need to include the following foods in your diet:
Crabmeat. almonds. lentil. Peanuts. Beef liver. white mushroom;
Foods containing vitamins A, C, E and B12
These vitamins have shown promising results in improving the health of hair, skin, and nails. For example, research has found that these vitamins help protect the skin from UV damage from the sun, and these foods are as follows:
vegetables. Leafy vegetables. orange; Nuts. Seeds. citrus fruits; Healthy cereal. berries; meat. fish. dairy. egg. Poultry.
Melanin oil for gray hair
Gray hair is one of the oils manufactured with herbal extracts and natural ingredients, and among its benefits is the elimination of premature graying, and the treatment of other hair problems such as hair loss and thinning hair.